Monday, July 16, 2007

Air Traffic Control



Bumblebee Moth Hemaris diffinis


The air is abuzz with life these days. I sit on our patio and watch the activity in rapt fascination...until the mosquitoes find me.

Because of all the rain, the dragonflies are out in record numbers. So, it seems, are the butterflies and moths. The cicadas have started their chainsaw song, which brings the gigantic cicada killers out, swooping through the air with macho aplomb.

We have a particularly precocious hummingbird coming to the backyard this year. If you're anywhere near the feeder, she will hover for a moment, then slowly edge toward you, as if to say "Hello! How are ya? I'm getting a drink, is that ok?"

Miss Hummer and my old collie were practically nose-to-nose this morning as she said her hello's. Oh, what I wouldn't give for a camera in moments like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean, my auto focus causes me to miss a few on the moment nature shots too!
An d like your visitor, excuse me whilst I grab a drink myself :)
Nice Macro...Nikon? Clear~ wtg