Sunday, August 19, 2007

On Dasher, On Skimmer, On Darner...uh...Blitzen?

Reading aloud the names of several common dragonflies sounds kind of like an Insect Santa calling his reindeer. All he needs is Rudolph, the Neon Skimmer to lead his pack...

This little fella -- a Blue Dasher, I believe -- was perched in the backyard and let me get close enough for this great shot:



I got this book as a gift a couple of years ago and really love it. Check it out, if you're a Southern gardener and a fan of dragonflies.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what detail! He's a colorful bugger :)

Dirty Fingernails said...

He is a beauty!! I bet you could see him from a mile away.

Matron said...

What a wonderful picture! I just love it when photogenic wildlife comes into my garden! I took a pic of a stag beetle a couple of days ago.

firefly said...

Beautiful photo. I love dragonflies and damselflies and darners, especially because my garden is chock full of mosquitoes all summer ...

Pyewacketcat said...

I have had beautiful red dragonflies show up at my pond a couple of years ago,and have had them ever since.But I had a lesson on what the nymphs look like,never would have figured they could produce something so beautiful.