Thursday, January 05, 2006

Stoned on Bluestone

I looove Bluestone Perennials. They are easily the nicest, most professional people to deal with as far as online and mail order nurseries go. Just read their Garden Watchdog reviews if ya don't believe me.

That being said, here's what my latest order from them included:

CLEMATIS Crystal Fountain
DAPHNE burk. CAROL MACKIE
EUPHORBIA Tasmanian Tiger
HEUCHERA RASPBERRY ICE
HEUCHERA Snow Angel
RUDBECKIA hirta Prairie Sun
ECHINOPS ruthenicus PLATINUM BLUE
EUPHORBIA dulcis Chameleon

Notes on the above:
I wasn't a clematis fan. But...when we moved into our new house, there were three different ones on the back fence. Slowly, they've convinced me that I love them and should have more. The 'Crystal Foundation' cultivar is being touted EVERYWHERE this season but you probably won't find it cheaper anywhere than at Bluestone. Take my word for it...

I have the 'opposite' Daphne from Carol Mackie, the Briggs Moonlight. Something has chewed the leaves off, but I think it'll be ok. I like the Carol Mackie too, though it's not as spectacularly colored. Again, don't pay Wayside or White Flower Farms prices for this cultivar. Wayside wants $50 for a gallon-size Carol Mackie; I paid $7 at Bluestone for what will probably be a smaller plant, but gosh...

My heucheras currently look awful, but I insist on ordering more...

I think the rabbits are dining on what little growth is showing on my Echinops, so I'm ordering more of those too...

Is Euphorbia dulcis Chameleon the same as what Big Dipper Farm is selling as Euphorbia x martinii 'Rudolph'? They look sort of the same...

Speaking of euphorbia as well as much-advertised newish cultivars, everybody seems to have the lovely variegated euphorbia 'Tasmanian Tiger' this year. Again, Bluestone has it on sale now for around $11, while it's somewhat more expensive elsewhere.

No comments: