Saturday, January 21, 2006

R.I.P. Kenny

I received some sad news this morning. One of my Master Gardener intern classmates died of a heart attack yesterday.

While I never asked Kenny directly what condition he was ill with, it was obvious he was a sick man. I would guess he had skin cancer; he did tell me that steroid treatments were what had turned the skin on his arms purple. It appeared that he had had at least one skin graft on the top of his head.

Anyway, Kenny had contracted pneumonia around Christmas and was in the hospital. He had just returned home the other day, apparently, and wrote his MG mentor that he was looking forward to being well enough to join the rest of us in the upcoming Spring projects. Friday morning, he had a heart attack.

I'm glad I sat next to Kenny for a few of our classes. We had a lot of fun talking about our enthusiasm for spiders, especially. He was a sweet, gentle man.

No comments: