Sunday, February 15, 2009

Flower Seeds - Old and New

I was going through my collection of flower seeds and was truly amazed at how old some of them were. Sunflower seeds from 2001, marigold seeds harvested from plants I had...gosh, I can't remember when. Maybe from before I was married, even. I ended up pitching most of the old seeds, as they probably weren't viable anyway, but I decided to try the sunflower and marigold just for the heck of it. The datura was also harvested from a plant and is only a couple of years old. The rest of the list is brand-spanking new seed from either Burpee or Select Seeds. Seeds were started yesterday, 2/14.



Sunflower 'Sunspot'


Marigold 'Jaguar'


Datura 'Double Purple'


Ornamental Millet 'Jester'


Scabiosa 'Beaujolais'


Scabiosa 'Dark Knight'


Maltese Cross


Gentian Blue Sage 'Cambridge Blue'


Amaranth 'Oeschberg'


Gomphrena 'Fireworks'


Coreopsis 'Mardi Gras'


Calendula 'Oktoberfest'

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Followed the path from Dave's Garden to your blog. We moved from Katy to McKinney, Tx. 2001-2003. Really good blog, I'll be back to visit often!

Libby

Anonymous said...

Dear Tamara,
thanks for all the beautiful pics.
I don't usually buy seeds because of the wait, however I serched for Sweet Pea seeds desperately this winter and early spring and found nothing! Any ideas on where to find them next year? And when?

Also I am raising a container veggie garden for the first time and here's the question: Why is it one of my tomato plants has bottom rot on the tomatoes but on just that one. We have to water them all every day or they will wilt but I don't know what this one poor plant needs me to do for it. Help. Thank you, Lin

Singapore Florist said...

Nice blog, nice share.. great

Valentine Day Flowers said...

Scabiosa 'Dark Knight' kinda reminds me of vintage clothes.