Sunday, June 22, 2008

Can I Regrow My Memory from Seed?

I don't often grow flowers from seed -- vegetables, yes, but not flowers -- so I can't really use that as an excuse as to why I keep forgetting what flower seeds I did start this year. Thank goodness the flowers themselves are reminding me!

This is Scabiosa 'Dark Knight'
Gorgeous isn't it? At first I thought it was Rudbekia 'Green Wizard', but the petal-less heads suddenly open into these deep purple/black flowers. Got these seeds from Select Seeds if anyone is interested. (And behind the Scabiosa is a 'Black Pearl' ornamental purple pepper that reseeded on its own from last year's planting.)


Coreopsis 'Mardi Gras'
I ordered these seeds from Burpee a couple of years ago and didn't do anything with them until this past spring. Isn't this unusual? I love it and will start more next season.


Calendula 'Oktoberfest'
I know, I know...more yellow flowers. *sigh* The picture doesn't do this justice, though, as the undersides of the flower petals are a deep red. Lovely.


Cleome
And then there are the Cleomes that have sprung up all over the yard - including through cracks in the driveway. Whoever said Cleome reseeds readily wasn't kidding.


Ah yes...I do like to grow veggies from seed. I've never started more tomatoes and peppers in mid-summer before, but lots of Texas gardeners do it. And, since I've got two plots at the Community Garden in need of filling out -- as I mentioned before, there's been a ban on growing squash family veggies this year-- more toms and pepps were called for. It'll be a good experiment for me personally as a veggie gardener, anyhow.

For those not familiar with the unique North Texas climate, we actually have two summer growing seasons here; tomatoes shut down through July and August, but new plants put in during that time will produce through November in most cases.

I've also started some winter squash (Delicata and Spaghetti) along with some watermelon and cantaloupe for growing around my own yard, although it might be too late for the latter two at this point. We'll see. Again, it's all an experiment at this point. There's also some basil and dill thrown in there for good herbal measure.

6 comments:

Eve said...

Duh! Wintr squash. I was trying to think what I should be planting right now and forgot about winter squash. I have my second crop of tomato plants in a few days ago. I planted Creole tomatoes earlier but I have put in only Better Boy this time around. I think they wear better through the heat. There is a new one called Heat Wave or new to me. I have one of those, most of mine are still producing,,,just not as much.

I put in some more yellow squash too. I love those because my first crop did not do so well. Squash for Pete's sake...they usually produce like squash is going out of style. And two or three more peppers. What do you plant for Winter? I think we are in the same zone, maybe? 8B

Anonymous said...

Tamara, I live in Plano and have some questions if you are available to answer them. I can be reached at staceman3 at hotmail dot com. We have Plumeria's we are trying to grow from seeds.

dallasmamaof2 said...

I live east of Plano and I am having a sudden issue with a few of my salvi greggi's-- Could I ask you?

The leaves are turning yellow (almost overnight!) on 2 otherwise thriving, healthy salvia greggiis (v. hot lips)... Seems to be staring from the bottom up... any suggestions?

Garden Guru said...

Great post. I'll have to try out some of your suggestions. I've gone through phases in my plant growing career. Right now I'm stuck on liriope. I'm using it as a ground cover.

Bob said...

Ah yes, the what is it plants. The ones that always throw me is the ones that don't come up that year and come up the next. I have a couple in the garden right now and have no idea what they are.

Anonymous said...

Okay Tamara,

It's time to start blogging again... we miss you.

Garlic Man