Saturday, May 31, 2008

They Call Me Mellow Yellow

I hope this finds all of my fellow gardeners well and in full enjoyment of the summer weather.

In an unconscious overcompensation for an abundance of purple flowers being featured in my garden for the past few years, I've apparently shifted into a yellow phase, as evidenced below...and this is just what's blooming now. There are also yellow yarrow, esperanza, and snapdragons gearing up for a second round of flowers.


Coneflower 'Coconut Lime'


To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what this is. Looks like a type of scabiosa or double coreopsis to me...neither of which I remember planting. Help, anyone?


Tropical Hibiscus


Ornamental Peppers


Yellow Shrimp Plant


Due to the infestation of squash bugs, we've been forbidden from growing cucurbits in the Plano Community Garden this year. So...I'm growing them at home. This is a yellow squash variety called 'Gentry' - apparently bred for Southern gardeners.



More to come...I got a new digital camera (an Olympus Stylus 840!) and am still learning how to best use it.

5 comments:

Annette said...

Hi Tamara!
You have a beautiful blog. I plan on spending more time on it as I get the chance. You were asking if anyone knows what the yellow plant is. It looks like a type of Yellow Gallardia to me. Hope that's helpful!
Happy Gardening,
Annette

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

I love all your yellow flowers. That sure does look like a scabosia flower to me too but I don't know if I have ever heard of a yellow one. Annette is probably right!!!I think I have seen a yellow gallardia. The hibiscus is stunning!!!!

Roses and Lilacs said...

Taking some time to surf today. The title of your site sounded interesting so I stopped by. Glad I did, enjoyed looking at your photos.

Anonymous said...

I love those 'Coconut Lime' coneflowers. I've never been a fan of coneflowers before because the color has always put me off. However, I've received some passalongs and they DO perform well in the heat when I have little else flowering. The idea that I can get the same tough plant with a flower color I like...well, that's just perfect!

Anonymous said...

i also think its a yellow Gaillardia.. Very Pretty just like the other yellow blooms..
See my garden at http://www.budscape.net/